Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Holiday Preparations!

 Keira is a girl after my own heart- she LOVES my shoes.  She tries them on and walks all over the house.  Here she is walking though the kitchen in my Ugg Boots- they go all the way up her legs!  She was so excited to put the boots on, as you can see from the giant smile on her face. She is so picky about what shoes she will and will not wear, it makes me crazy!  She has to be convinced to wear new shoes, and definitely has two favorites- her pink boots and Converse- at least she has good taste!

This December, we went to the December Nights celebration at Balboa Park.  James and I have been every year for several years, and we took her last year- but this year was the scariest year we have been!  The crowds never bothered me too much when I didn't have Keira, and last year she wasn't walking far enough to be worried about her running away, but this year she wanted to run off and see things, and wasn't keen on the idea of going where we wanted to go.  We started the night with a ride on the Merry-go-round, Keira's favorite!
 Next, we went to the International Houses (our favorite thing!) and ate delicious treats from different cultures- yum!  Keira decided Daddy should wear her pink hat, and James was so cold, he obliged.  Silly Daddy...
 December Nights is one of my favorite events in San Diego, it gets us in the holiday spirit! 
 The next night, James and I went to his work party in La Jolla- it was a great night, delicious food, great company and tons of blackjack (and wine!).  It is our fanciest date night of the year, and we always have fun!
 The next weekend, we decided it was time to decorate our house.  We went to a Christmas Tree Farm where we could pick out our own tree, and Keira was NOT happy that she couldn't cut down the tree herself.  We felt she was a little young to safely handle a saw- maybe next year.  :)  She threw a huge fit in the middle of the farm, so I captured the special moment on film. 
 After we got home and had some dinner and a bath, she was a brand new girl, and loved helping me put ornaments on the tree.  She also loved taking them off for weeks after.  Luckily, all the glass and breakable ornaments were on the top of the tree, so there was no chance she could break anything... 
 Last year, I decided NOT to have Keira take a picture with Santa.  I couldn't see the logic in paying a stranger to give my child a panic attack.  This year, I felt guilty for missing her first year picture with Santa, and I decided if I explained Santa to her, she might do okay and smile for the picture.  Turns out, I was dead wrong.
 The day went like this- trudged through the Grossmont Center in the POURING rain with only a child's princess umbrella (after cutting though a toy store and having a fit because she wanted to play with all the toys) and juggling my coffee and her hot chocolate, wait in line, and show Keira who Santa was.  I told her that was Santa, and he was nice and going to bring her presents.  I asked her if she'd like to take a picture, and she said "yeah!"  We got close to the man, and Keira screamed, kicked her hot chocolate out of my hand onto the carpet in front of Santa which exploded everywhere, and began to claw and scream to get away.  My stubborn side came out, and I decided we were GETTING the picture, so I sat down with her on my lap and smiled.  All in all, I'm sure it was $20.00 well spent, and I'll cherish these memories someday.  I do think the picture is hilarious, and I think it's amazing that Santa Claus still showed up for her on Christmas morning. 

We also had our good buddy Jackson over for playing and Gingerbread Man decorating.  Keira loves playing with Jackson and they had fun decorating and especially eating our Gingerbread Man!
 Our Gingerbread Man didn't look QUITE like the one on the box, but you get the idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment